This thing is just awesome and absolutely huge!
The official info, via Brickset:
10234 Sydney Opera House™
Ages 16+. 2,989 pieces.
Recreate Australia’s architectural masterpiece!
US $319.99 CA $379.99 DE 279.99€ UK 249.99 £ DK 2499.00 DKK
Recreate one of the 20th century’s most distinctive buildings with the Sydney Opera House™ model. Build the unmistakable shell roofline, waterfront forecourt and more with this authentic representation of Australia’s most iconic building. Employ a variety of new and advancedbuilding techniques to recreate the complex forms, angled walls and subtle detailing of the real thing! Collect lots of dark tan LEGO® bricks including the rare 1x1x2/3 stud and 1x2x2/3 stud slopes, as well as a 48×48 stud baseplate in blue for the very first time!
• Build this model of a UNESCO World Heritage Site!
• Includes hard-to-find dark tan LEGO® bricks, tiles and sloped bricks!
• Collect the 48×48 stud baseplate, available in blue for the very first time!
• Sturdy construction allows the model to be handled and moved!
• Features advanced building techniques for complex forms, angled walls and subtle detailing!
• Measures over 11″ high, 25″ wideand 15″ deep!
At $320, this thing is obviously not going to be a cheap set to pick up. I will need to score a decent discount before I can even think about bringing it home. Also, I need somewhere to put it when it's done. It really is a wonderful looking set though and I really want to see how they handled the construction of this.
UPDATE: I managed to find this beauty nestled in with the general displays at Brickworld this weekend. Here are some close-up shots of different sections of the model.
Wides shot from the side.
A view of the back end.
The sails from above.
A close look at some of the trans black pieces used for the windows.
I have to admit, the size of this set in person is quite impressive. It will be very tempting to pick this up shortly after release.