Thursday, December 20, 2012

LEGO CUUSOO Summer review complete

After months of waiting, the LEGO CUUSOO project finally posted the results of the summer review today. Four projects were up for review this time around: the Back to the Future DeLorean Time Machine, the EVE Online Rifter, the Modular Western Town, and the Legend of Zelda. You can view the big reveal in the video.

Some good and bad news in here, but I think we're starting to get a better idea of what will and will not make it through the CUUSOO review process.
I'm very pleased to see the BTTF set make it through the approval process. I was a big fan of the movies growing up and I plan to fully support the release of the set by picking up a copy (or several) for myself and possibly for some family/friends who are also fans of the franchise. Even if they don't make Doc or Marty minifigures to go with it, having this iconic sci-fi vehicle in brick form is something to look forward to.

As for the other projects...

The EVE Online Rifter was rejected for rather vague reasons, citing only concerns that it did not fit with their current business model. I find that a little odd, considering how popular the Minecraft product has been. I have never played EVE Online, but I know it has been played by millions. I also recall the makers of the game supported the project. I assume there's more to this story we will just never know.

The Modular Western Town was rejected because it would compete with an upcoming theme. That would be the Lone Ranger sets due out next year. (Pictures of those leaked this week, and look awesome. I have a feeling I will be adding those to my collection.) Even without the upcoming western products, I have a hard time seeing LEGO moving ahead with production of this proposal. The buildings are impressive and look like they were a labor of love, but the entire set up is huge. I just can't see CUUSOO producing something that would likely carry a price point higher than anything we have seen before. I love the look of this project, but it just does not fit with what LEGO is doing right now.

The Legend of Zelda proposal was rejected because it would have required multiple new molds to make the specialized weapons and items that were included. While it's not mentioned, I would assume Nintendo's current license with K'NEX would have been a roadblock as well. I think Zelda LEGO products would be cool. Heck, I can remember making custom figs when I was younger out of a Forestmen figure and then using paint markers to decorate swords. I think I even used some sculpting clay to make a few of Link's items. I would have bought this product without a doubt, but dropping it because of the high number of specialized pieces makes some sense.

The fall review is currently underway and a number of interesting projects are up in the next update. The Curiosity Rover, UCS Sandcrawler, and Thinking with Portals sets all received high praise. I do not have high hopes for the Sandcrawler making it through, but the Rover and Portal sets could easily win approval. I just hope we don't have to wait six months to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...