Wednesday, September 5, 2012

LEGO Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 2013?

It seems a little out of left field, but the rumor mill is churning this week about a possible line of sets based on the latest incarnation of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series. Releasing in 2013, the theme is rumored to be based on the re-launch of the series on Nickelodeon.

I have to admit, I have some mixed feelings about this news. The height of the TMNT craze came at the tail end of my childhood, so I do have some memories of having figures from the line. Oddly enough, most of those are actually up on ebay right now. However, I seem to recall the line was VERY driven by the characters instead of the playsets. Most of the vehicles were just bizarre contraptions that had no ties to the show at all and the selling point was simply one of the more well known characters using them.


The only iconic things sticking with me 20 years later are the Party Wagon, Sewer Playset, and Technodrome. I guess the blimp from the original line is also up there with pretty cool toys from the time period. Past that though, we just start entering the land of trying too hard. You get your toilet plunger cannons and pizza launchers, or the super bizarre "Footski" from the late 80s.

I guess it will depend largely on what the new show has to offer in terms of potential sets. I don't see them digging back to the nostalgia line to pull up vehicles, although a technic mouser would be pretty cool. I can probably see myself picking up the core four characters and maybe doing a MOC of the party wagon for nostalgia purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...