Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Making those May decisions

Like most other fans out there, I do not have an infinite budget to fuel my LEGO addiction. I have to earmark a certain amount of cash each month that I can direct towards picking up sets I want to add to my collection. That's why these two little freebies for the month of May have made me a little apprehensive about figuring out my purchases.

Not the droid I'm looking for?
Having just recently rejoined the collecting world, I am exceedingly far behind on the Star Wars offerings that have been released. I grew up with the original trilogy, but have little interest in picking up the Clone Wars inspired sets. My attention so far has been on the classic ships I grew up loving, which is why I recently picked up the latest incarnations of the X-wing, Y-wing, and TIE Fighter. All three of those are iconic ships from the series that I feel are pretty much necessary to own. However, aside from the UCS Imperial Shuttle, the Death Star, and the Millennium Falcon, there are not really any sets under the $100 mark I have any interest in right now.


It will depend greatly on what sets get any discounts for the "May the Fourth" promotion, but I might end up sitting out on the TC-14 in favor of a line I'm enjoying much more so far...Super Heroes.

Hulk Smash!
The awesomeness of this Hulk minifigure cannot be ignored. From the purple pants to the clenched teeth on this face, this guy reminds me so much of the old TV series I loved watching as a kid that I don't think I can resist picking him up during the limited time he's available. Add in the fact that he does not appear to be limited to purchases from the Super Heroes line, and I think it becomes the clear promotion to jump on board with next month.

As someone who grew up reading comic books, I have been fairly impressed with the sets in the Super Heroes line. I think the DC sets have been the better of the bunch so far. I've picked up most of the smaller sets from the Batman line, and Fun House and Bat Cave are likely to be picked up in my future. My personal favorite of the bunch has to be the Lex Luthor power armor set, but that's largely because Superman is in there.

The only Marvel set I have really liked so far is the Chopper Showdown, although that's largely tied to the minifigs as well. Magneto, Wolverine, and Deadpool are all excellent choices and a great value to pick up in a $20 set.

Most of the Avengers sets just are not doing it for me though. I want to get a Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, and the big Hulk, but the rest of the figs are not anything I'm crazy about. The generic drones are boring, Loki is a ho-hum villan, and Black Widow and Hawkeye are back benchers. I really hope future sets in the line produce a much wider array of characters and offer us vehicles and terrain that are more iconic to the Marvel Universe. I also want to see more classic villans show up, rather than just the generic henchmen we have so far.

So, which of these two are you more excited about in May? Do you think TC-14 is really of interest only to the "gotta have 'em all" Star Wars minifig collectors?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...