Friday, November 7, 2014

Birds and Big Bang Theory pass LEGO Ideas review, fate of Doctor Who uncertain

After what feels like months of waiting, the LEGO Ideas team has finally revealed what the next two sets are going to be. You can watch the video below and then see my thoughts after the jump.



I really like the birds set (and believe I voted on it, but that was oh so long ago). I imagine The Big Bang Theory set got through mainly because of the marketing potential. I can just imagine a future episode of the show featuring the set in the background, or even as a prominent prop the characters interact with.

I am disappointed that neither of the Doctor Who sets made it through the review process. I guess it's encouraging to hear that they are still "being evaluated," although we have no way of knowing what that actually means. I guess it's possible LEGO is actually working on a licensed line already that will be apart from the Ideas label...which really may be the best way to handle the property. I could just imagine the uproar from the Whovian community if their favorite Doctor was left out.

Given the recent track record with Ideas sets, I'll be interested to see how they handle these releases. The ongoing supply problems with the Research Institute set have upset a lot of casual fans. The past two times I've been in a LEGO Store, I have heard at least two people come up to the counter asking about the set. I don't expect the birds set to light the same fires, but I imagine it will have the same kind of short shelf life that caught people off-guard with the Curiosity Rover. On the plus side, the EXO Suit no longer seems to be in short supply.

1 comment:

  1. After what feels like months of waiting, the LEGO Ideas team has finally revealed what the next two sets are going to be. You can watch the ... legobirds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...