Sunday, June 9, 2013
Building a major MOC using LEGO - Part 2: Planning
Personally, I fall somewhere in the middle. I like to have an idea of what I'm getting into so I can order parts, but I'm very open about what the finished product should end up looking like when I'm building my own design. This partially comes from the fact that I really do not like the digital design tools that are out there right now. I've used LEGO Digital Designer on a few occasions and the interface, quite honestly, annoyed me to no end. Searching for specific elements can be a pain and my computer always seems too slow to keep up.
current project, I went a little rudimentary on playing with the design. I started by generating a rough sketch of what I wanted to build and then marking it up a little to get an idea of what types of bricks would be needed to achieve the desired effect. I then did my best to identify those parts, primarily using the wonderful catalog feature that's available on BrickLink.
Using BL makes it easier to generate a want list as well, which then helps me search stores for maximum effectiveness in purchasing power. I'm more likely to spend a few extra pennies on the elements I want, if I can get most of them from a single buyer to save on shipping. Minimizing those postage costs was a lesson I learned last summer when sourcing my Cafe Corner. It's not worth the hassle of having to order from four different sellers if I end up paying at least $2-3 on shipping per order.
For my current project, I need quite a bit of white brick. This can be a pain, as I'm pretty much buying all of it new to limit possible discoloration. I've made some progress so far. After a nice round of orders, I came up with this as my final design for each of the four wings of the Capitol building.
The front end changed a little in the design process as well. I was having a hard time getting the angled roof to work in a way that did not also result in the internal support structure being highly visible. It's a design feature I was willing to compromise on. I'm still quite happy with how this section of the build worked out.
Next up, I'm going to cover how I dealt with stability of the baseplate and played with way different ways of properly mounting this to accurately reflect how the Capitol sits on the grounds.